California Phlebotomy Schools.
Phlebotomy training in California prepares students for a career as a phlebotomist. Their main duty is to take blood samples from patients who need tests and analysis done to diagnose and treat medical conditions. Most phlebotomists work in hospitals and clinics. Students will study blood, blood vessels, safe medical practices, sanitary requirements, and puncture techniques. Most phlebotomy training programs in California take six months to complete and result in a certificate. Phlebotomy students often use the program as a stepping stone to a career as a nurse or medical assistant. The majority of phlebotomists work part-time in hospitals and clinics.
Prerequisites Needed for Entry into Phlebotomy Schools
A phlebotomist is a clinical technician who administers lab tests, draws blood, files reports, and has close contact with patients. The ONE requirement that all phlebotomy training schools ask for is a high school diploma or GED. Aside from that, each college, university or vocational school may have its own specific prerequisites. However, there are certain factors that will prepare you well for a career in phlebotomy, and which all schools will admire.
Phlebotomy is, after all, a medical sector, so a basic foundation in chemistry, biology and physics will help you better understand and learn about the human body and how it is treated.
Phlebotomy deals with blood vessels, and blood flow around the body, so a good knoweledge of anatomy is essential!
Whether collecting, storing and giving blood, you will be responsible for making sure that samples do not get contaminated, and that patients do not suffer infections. For this reason, an understanding of the ins and outs of sanitation is absolutely key.
It is a phlebotomist's responsibility to make sure he or she corrects exactly the right amounts of blood, labels samples correctly, and cross references dates and times of collections with doctors' requirements, so a good grasp of mathematics is essential.
- Medical Terminology
Phlebotomists work directly with doctors, nurses, and hospital staff, meaning they need to be fluent in medical terminology. Part of your job will be reading and updating medical records, so understanding the terminology is 100% necessary.
- Bedside Manner
Most people get nervous when having blood taken, and as a phlebotomist you will be dealing with some very difficult cases face-to-face. However, a good bedside manner and communication skills can ease a tense situation, making your job a lot easier and your patient a lot calmer.
- Hand-eye Coordination
This one is self-explanatory. As a phlebotomist you will be dealing with tiny blood vessels, sharp needles, and shaky patients, so manual dexterity is a MUST.
- Good Computer Skills
A large part of your job will be filing reports, updating medical charts and tracking patient appointments. For this reason, you must be confident in using computer databases and office filing systems. This is especially important when working in a large facility where you have to coordinate and share records with many different people.
List of Phlebotomy Schools in California
Showing schools in your area
- A Los Angeles-based private college offering programs in medical sciences, legal studies, and graphic design since 1985.
- Has weekend programs, including certified veterinary technology, nurse assistant, and hemodialysis technician.
- Showcases visual communication students’ artwork and design through campus magazine.
- 3 campuses in Southern California.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- Flexible Scheduling
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Offers medical and cosmetic programs, including dental assisting, massage therapy, cosmetology, esthetics, and more.
- Features a public salon and spa where students may get real-world experience.
- Offers scholarship opportunities for students wo qualify.
- Accredited by the Council on Occupational Education (COE).
- 2 separate Vacaville campuses, one is for medical careers and the other is the beauty academy.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid