California Radiologist Education Schools.
The beautiful and sunny coastal state of California is one of the most popular places to visit and live in the United States. Tourists flock to the coastland year after year to visit theme parks, see celebrities, experience the sandy California beaches, or shop in some of the best malls and boutiques in the country. Due to the warm climate and area attractions, California has also become a hot spot for retirees looking to spend their golden years in a mild and comfortable environment. The growing number of snow birds and permanent elderly residents has prompted the boom of medical schools and health care facilities. Radiology schools in California, including Kaplan College, are popping up all over the state to offer training and promises of lucrative careers.
Do I Need to Attend a Four-Year Institution to Be a Radiology Technician?
When considering a career in radiology technologies the question arises whether it is required to attend a four-year institution for a radiology technician degree. Simply put: no, it's not necessary to complete a four-year degree to be a radiology technician, but these programs are not as wide spread as the four-year or two-year degree programs.
Length of Training and Educational Programs
- One to four years and lead to a certificate, associate's degree or bachelor's degree in radiology
- The length of training and education can determine the salary and duties of a radiology technician
A radiology technician or radiographer is responsible for the reading of X-rays and administration of X-rays for diagnostic purposes.
In addition to classroom work, hands-on clinical work is required in any radiology program. Technicians need to prepare non-radioactive solutions for diagnosis purposes and often need to be made on demand that is for the diagnosis at hand. For that reason training in the radiology environment is included in all programs; it is the amount of these experiences that differs from a certificate program to a bachelor's program.
Often maintain the diagnostic equipment as well as running the radiology department of a hospital or clinic. These additional duties such as budgeting, scheduling, purchasing, and hiring are not necessarily covered in shorter degree programs.
The education required will be completely dependent on the position desired by the student. Shorter degree programs are typically more intensive and involve more concentrated material than a four-year program and are set programs. This means that a student may not be able to add courses to their education to expand their knowledge. These certificate programs still fully prepare a student for the career in radiology technology, offering the core requirements and essential training to get students into the workforce more quickly.
Two-year or Associate's Degree
They provide a more in-depth experience than the certificate programs, covering a wider range of topics while providing some options in the coursework for students. It should be noted that adding classes to a degree program of any kind is completely at the discretion of the institution and may warrant a longer duration of educational training. Associate's degree programs cover anatomy, physiology, chemistry, and microbiology as do university and certificate programs. The duration and requirements of these areas will vary from school to school, but a two-year school will grant more knowledge in a less intensive environment than a certificate program.
A four-year or bachelor's degree is more involved and will better prepare technicians to perform a wider variety of services and procedures than a technician with a certificate and, in turn, will be paid more. University graduates can perform other diagnostic procedures as well.
It is not the length of a radiology technician program that is important. It is the length of the program compared to the career desired by the student that is important. The length of the program determines the amount of training a student will receive, both within radiology techniques and procedures and education in the areas of business management, human resources, and maintenance of equipment. These factors should be considered when choosing a radiology training program to facilitate the student's career path desires.
List of Radiology Schools in California
Showing schools in your area
- Many programs require externships, allowing students to gain real-world experience.
- Approved A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 1984.
- Offers 22 accelerated, career-focused program options including business administration, medical assisting, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
- 11 campuses across California, with an online division as well.
- Financial Aid
- Career Training Online: Ultimate Medical Academy is committed to helping you succeed in a healthcare career. That’s why we offer assistance from the very beginning, throughout training, and even after you graduate.
- Get personalized attention with UMA: One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services—they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition.
- Engaging Online Learning: You’ll get individual feedback from your instructors, watch educational videos, participate in discussion boards and have access to live study group sessions.
- Career Services: UMA has a relationship with more than 100,000 employer locations across the country and we use that network to search for job opportunities and schedule interviews for our graduates.
- Let’s Talk: As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our Clearwater, Florida campus. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
- Online Courses
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Online Courses