California Surgical Technician Schools.
If you decide to study at one of the surgical technician programs in California, what impact will this have on your future career? For applicants with the proper training, job opportunities in this field are expected to be excellent, with a growth of about 25% by 2018 according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. While some formal training is mandatory, certification is voluntary but very attractive to future employers. The training programs in this area include non-degree diplomas and certificates as well as associate’s degrees. Subjects studied in these courses include infection control, medical terminology, and surgical supplies. This will prepare students to set up an operating room and ensure that it has the needed supplies and sterile instruments for the doctors and nurses to use.
The Demand for Surgical Technicians in Healthcare Today
Surgical technicians are an integral part of any operating room. They work hand in hand with doctors and nurses to prepare patients and theatres for surgery. This includes sterilization of the area and instruments, positioning the patient's body, handing tools to the surgeon during a procedure, and taking patients to the recovery room after surgery.
The good news is that demand for surgical technicians is high and growing, thanks to the factors detailed below. Some areas have a ratio of 1 graduate to 5 available positions, giving graduates a multitude of choices in their career path.
1. Population Growth and Aging. The US population is constantly growing, leading to a greater number of surgical procedures overall. In addition, as the baby boomer population ages, a greater percentage of this elderly population will require surgery. This increases the demand for help in the operating room, with 20,000 new surgical technician positions expected to open up by 2012, in both hospitals and gerontological clinics.
2. Economics. As budgets get tighter, hospitals are realizing that instead of having 6 highly-paid surgeons each do very little in a surgical procedure, it makes more sense to have two fully-fledged surgeons and 3 highly-skilled surgical technicians working together. This reduces overhead costs for the hospital without sacrificing the quality of care, and means positions for surgical technicians are set to rise. It also makes life-saving procedures more affordable for patients.
3. Healthcare Reform. Recent changes in the US healthcare system mean that more and more people can now afford to undergo surgeries. Both private and public healthcare providers are reporting increased numbers of procedures, and consequently hiring new surgical technicians, who, thanks to recent changes in legislation, have been assigned more key roles in the operating theatre.
List of Surgical Tech Schools in California
Showing schools in your area
- Offers a free trial period so students can attend classes before paying tuition.
- Provides blended courses that combine traditional classroom instruction with online learning.
- Lets students connect with peers at any time, and instructors during office hours with online chat rooms.
- Gives students the chance to participate in externships and clinical training work under the general supervision of college staff.
- Has accelerated programs that allow students to take the same coursework in a shorter timeframe.
- Flexible Scheduling
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Features career programs in surgical technology, professional fitness trainer, vocational nursing, and an associate of science program in health administration.
- Offers career assistance and advising services to students and graduates.
- Campus is close to many attractions in Glendale, California, including the Los Angeles Zoo, Universal Studios, Alex Theater, and downtown Los Angeles.
- Accredited by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
Part of the Success Education Colleges (SEC) group of schools.