Natural Medicine Schools
Those interested in natural medicine may study to become physicians and practitioners who are dedicated to disease prevention and healing through all-natural techniques. As a specialist in natural medicine, you may study various forms of holistic medicine, including naturopathy, ancient healing methods, acupuncture, therapeutic exercise, and other alternative treatments. This form of medicine focuses on the use of natural techniques and medicines to cure or ease the suffering of patients without modern medicine or machines.
What Does an Herbologist Do?
Herbology, also known as botanical herbalism, herbal medicine and phytotherapy, is a traditional practice using the medicinal properties of plants, minerals, and fungi. An understanding of the science and practice of herbology will provide for a better understanding of what a herbologist does.
- Herbologists usually use a combination of extracts from plants, minerals and fungi in order to treat a patient, which is more effective than using a single ingredient. This might include herbal teas and oils.
- Instead of diagnosing a patient and simply giving a remedy, herbologists view their field as the study of a web of relationships between cause, condition, and cure.
- Most herbologists agree that their practice is effective as a prevention. The body's needs are analyzed and natural treatments are given to strengthen it against illness.
- Many herbologists may combine their practice with more sciences like accupuncture and nutritional counselling.
- There are various schools within the United States that may certify herbologists.
Did You Know?
- Over 35,000 plant species have medicinal value, and over half of all prescription drugs were discovered through the practice of herbology. What's more, a quarter of all prescription drugs in the US are plant-based, including morphine, aspirin and codeine.
- The World Health Organization estimates that 80% of the world's population currently uses some form of plant-based medicine in healthcare.
- The earliest recorded medicinal use of plants is detailed in the Lascaux Cave paintings in France, dated between 13,000 and 25,000 BC, and humans have been using herbology ever since. There are records of its use in Ancient Egyptian texts, the Old Testament, and in anient Greek, Roman and Chinese culture.
List of Natural Medicine Schools
- Provides students the opportunity to train at home in their spare time to get their high school diploma, train for a new career, or enhance current skills.
- Offers programs in psychology/social work, business management, medical billing, criminal justice, and more.
- Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
- Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
- Online Courses