Natural Medicine Schools
Those interested in natural medicine may study to become physicians and practitioners who are dedicated to disease prevention and healing through all-natural techniques. As a specialist in natural medicine, you may study various forms of holistic medicine, including naturopathy, ancient healing methods, acupuncture, therapeutic exercise, and other alternative treatments. This form of medicine focuses on the use of natural techniques and medicines to cure or ease the suffering of patients without modern medicine or machines.
What Does an Herbologist Do?
Herbology, also known as botanical herbalism, herbal medicine and phytotherapy, is a traditional practice using the medicinal properties of plants, minerals, and fungi. An understanding of the science and practice of herbology will provide for a better understanding of what a herbologist does.
- Herbologists usually use a combination of extracts from plants, minerals and fungi in order to treat a patient, which is more effective than using a single ingredient. This might include herbal teas and oils.
- Instead of diagnosing a patient and simply giving a remedy, herbologists view their field as the study of a web of relationships between cause, condition, and cure.
- Most herbologists agree that their practice is effective as a prevention. The body's needs are analyzed and natural treatments are given to strengthen it against illness.
- Many herbologists may combine their practice with more sciences like accupuncture and nutritional counselling.
- There are various schools within the United States that may certify herbologists.
Did You Know?
- Over 35,000 plant species have medicinal value, and over half of all prescription drugs were discovered through the practice of herbology. What's more, a quarter of all prescription drugs in the US are plant-based, including morphine, aspirin and codeine.
- The World Health Organization estimates that 80% of the world's population currently uses some form of plant-based medicine in healthcare.
- The earliest recorded medicinal use of plants is detailed in the Lascaux Cave paintings in France, dated between 13,000 and 25,000 BC, and humans have been using herbology ever since. There are records of its use in Ancient Egyptian texts, the Old Testament, and in anient Greek, Roman and Chinese culture.
List of Natural Medicine Schools
Showing schools in your area
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
At American University, our smart, passionate and engaged students and faculty focus their knowledge to create meaningful change. Our strengths in international service and public affairs inspire our sense of social responsibility and a dedication to cultural and intellectual diversity. We’re defined by our global perspective, practical idealism and a dedication to public service.
American University is a private, college-centered research university located in the nation’s capital. It was chartered by the United States Congress in 1893 to build public service, and is now home to a prestigious faculty, guest speakers and visiting world leaders who are influential practitioners and prominent thought leaders.
- Online Courses