Herbal Medicine training in US Herbal Medicine schools
As an herbology student, you may learn about different herbs and how they may interact with each other to create powerful healing salves, teas, or other medicines. Pharmacology is also an important aspect of your study, since you need to understand how herbs' natural healing properties interact with a patient's body and how they work with other remedies. Since herbs have been used for hundreds of years, different fields of herbology often have roots in traditional Chinese, Native American, Greek, or Roman cultures.
The Difference Between Homeopathic and Traditional Medicine
In the United States most people visit a traditional doctor when they are sick, but a growing number are seeking the care of homeopathic doctors, who use herbs and natural remedies to help the body heal and stay healthy. So what are differences between homeopathic and traditional medicine?
- Use drugs, surgery and various invasive and non-invasive procedures
- Treat patients by getting rid of the symptoms of their illness
- For example, give an antihistamine to someone suffering from allergies
- Use herbs, homepathy and natural remedies such as exercise, massage therapy, accupuncture and meditation
- Believe that symptoms of an illness are signs of the body trying to heal itself.
- Patients are treated according to the "law of similars," which involves giving the ill patient a homeopathic remedy that would provoke the same symptom in a healthy person, thereby stimulating the body's immune response
- For example, give a miniscule amount of diluted pollen to someone suffering from summer allergies
There is an ongoing debate between traditional and homeopathic medicine. Many traditional doctors believe homeopathy to be quackery, saying that it is just another example of the placebo effect in action, while homeopathic doctors view traditional medicine as harmful and dangerous. However, both sides are learning to accept the other.
Traditional medics agree that practices such as chiropractic care, herbs and accupuncture, which were once thought of as ineffective are now generally accepted as helpful. Similarly, many homeopathic practicioners will suggest that patients with severe illnesses see a traditional doctor, or use a combination of both therapies.
All in all, it is the patient who should decide what is right for him or her. Both methods may be effective and have many advantages for the body.
List of Schools offering Herbal Medicine Programs
Showing schools in your area
At American University, our smart, passionate and engaged students and faculty focus their knowledge to create meaningful change. Our strengths in international service and public affairs inspire our sense of social responsibility and a dedication to cultural and intellectual diversity. We’re defined by our global perspective, practical idealism and a dedication to public service.
American University is a private, college-centered research university located in the nation’s capital. It was chartered by the United States Congress in 1893 to build public service, and is now home to a prestigious faculty, guest speakers and visiting world leaders who are influential practitioners and prominent thought leaders.
- Online Courses