RN To BSN programs in US
In health care, research has linked advanced nursing degrees to improved patient outcomes and decreased mortality. In light of this, the push for registered nurses (RNs) to hold a minimum of a bachelor's degree in nursing (BSN) has increased. Hospitals and other health care institutions are encouraging RNs that hold associate's degrees and diplomas in nursing to return to school.
Many universities offer RN to BSN programs that allow nurses to advance their education. These types of programs apply credits from a student's associate's degree or diploma in nursing towards their BSN. Some accelerated RN to BSN programs can be completed in as little as three semesters. Most programs are designed to accommodate the schedules of nurses who are working full-time while returning to school.
Is a career as a BSN right for me?
Choosing the path of your education in the medical or nursing field may be a challenge. No matter why you wish to pursue a BSN, taking a look inside the nursing profession may help you to make the decision if a career in nursing is right for you.
BSN Job Description
An entry level BSN (bachelor's of science in nursing) usually begins their career as a registered nurse. Their duties begin in a patient care capacity, in either a hospital, clinical, or doctor's office setting. They complete tasks such as starting IVs, administering medications, observing patient conditions, and updating charts and paperwork. They handle basic patient care, under the advice of the attending physician, and may work in a supervisory role over nursing assistants and practical nurses. As they move on in their career, they may take on administrative roles or work on an educational level with patients or other care providers.
Necessary Personal Attributes and Qualities for a BSN
There are many personal attributes that make a career in nursing more enjoyable and more rewarding. While the lack of these attributes may not disqualify you from pursuing a BSN, having them may make your education and your future job easier to handle. Those with a caring nature, who enjoy working with people in a one-on-one situation, have a much better experience with a career as a BSN.
You might need to have:
- good organizational and communication skills
- a strong stomach
- the ability to react quickly in a crisis situation.
Even those without these specific strengths may do well as a BSN, if they take the time to learn their job and work on the areas in which they are weak.
Schools offering RN to BSN Programs
Showing schools in your area
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota's Online Master's Programs
At Saint Mary's, we take pride in offering online graduate degrees designed to complement the schedules of working adults like you. Get an affordable, convenient education from a top-ranked university that's grounded in real-world applications.
- Online Courses
- RNs, ready to take your nursing career to the next level? Earn your BSN online with GCU.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- GCU's courses are taught by practicing nurses and experts who share knowledge and experience in areas of clinical patient care, healthcare management and professional nursing practice and leadership.
- Gain a comprehensive view of patient care principles to strengthen your ability to care for patients and take on hospital responsibilities with your BSN.
- Focus on family-centered healthcare, health history and physical examinations, applied health care statistics, nursing leadership and development and more.
- Online Courses
- Flexible Scheduling
- Accelerated Programs
- Financial Aid
- Transferable Credits
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Online Courses